Code Enforcement

The Code Enforcement Department enforces the county's ordinances to help local residents create and maintain safe, healthy and attractive living and working environments. The Code Enforcement Officer primarily assists other departments with issues of compliance such as inspecting business occupation and regulatory tax certificates, mobile home tax decals, and inventory taxes.

The department's first priority is to help residents achieve compliance with these standards; but if you do receive a violation notice, we recommend you seek guidance for correcting the violation from the Code Enforcement Department at 706-839-0150.  Violations must be corrected in a timely manner to avoid any penalties.

What codes does Habersham County enforce?

Habersham County, like the cities, has its own codes. The types of codes we enforce include:

  • Typical building codes
  • Soil erosion
  • Abating blighted areas and abandoned vehicles
  • Nuisance codes
  • Animal control
  • Fire codes

Who should I contact to report a code problem?

Building Codes and Building Permits
David Turpin: or 706-839-0140

Soil Erosion
Wendell Sullen: or 706-839-0140 

Animal Control
Madi Hawkins: or 706-839-0195

Fire Permits and Illegal Burning
Jeff Cain: or 706-839-0571

Septic Tanks and Environmental Health
James Reece: or 706-776-7659

Blighted Areas and Abandoned Vehicles
Sam Irvin: or 706-839-0150

General Information
Sam Irvin: or 706-839-0150